Sunday, November 30, 2014

WDW - Caribbean Beach Resort - Trinidad South Pirate Room - Moderate Hotel - Review

In October 2014 we went to WDW for a weekend.  We stayed at a moderate level Disney on site resort.  I called and planned for a pirate themed room, first floor preferred (because I have MS and have difficulty with steps), and early check-in.  When we arrived to reception at nearly 7 am the CM told me there were no rooms available.  Then I asked her to check again, in which she radioed Mousekeeping and found out there was one room available in Trinidad South.  Pirate themed, second floor, it was fine.  I knew that even if I struggled with steps, my kids would be happy with the theming.  In addition to the room, the CM gave me plastic swords and eye patches for the kids.  Ok... not shabby.

Overall, I was displeased with the size of the room. We stayed at Art of Animation (Nemo Family Suite) in March 2014 and had a much better room size wise, much better experience overall, and it was cheaper.  Caribbean Beach left a lot to be desired.  Pirate theming was nice and all, but in order to get it you're in Building 39 (at the very back of the property, near CM parking lots).  This is HUGE trek from the dining hall, pools and stores.  I only walked that once with Blake in his stroller, early in the morning while Maurice and Tristan were getting him ready for Jedi Training.  

The theming was nice (I'll reiterate for my own sake)..... and to keep it positive, but overall I was disappointed.  The room was on the end, not bigger than a normal sized hotel room, just "fancier" furniture.  I had to practically beg Mousekeeping for extra towels and soap, the safe was a wall insert that didn't seem as safe as it was supposed to be, a curtain hung between the bedroom area and the bathroom and the pirate skull image on the curtain scared our baby (17 months).  In comparison, AoA provided plenty of extras, along with a kitchenette with paper plates, cups, forks, spoons, etc.  CBR had none of that except a few cups next to the ice bucket.  The beds were small, and the room seemed humid and smelled of mildew.  I don't think the temperature regulated well at all the whole time we were there. 

The property was quiet (because we were in the back) but the beaches were small and you're not allowed to swim in the water, so for me it seemed pointless.  I wasn't a fan of how the dining hall area was layed out either but it seemed representative of a hotel in Vegas (which escapes me right now), and Maurice agreed.  

Overall, we didn't enjoy this hotel nearly as much as we did Art of Animation.  We likely won't be back to Caribbean Beach Resort for anything other than future pin trading on the boards in the stores and with the CM's (They had a nice pin board collection each day we went).  Our 9 year old of course loved the pirate theme but at the end of the vacation also agreed he'd like to go back to Art of Animation even if we were in a smaller room.













No comments:

Post a Comment